Monday, September 10, 2012

HAPPY MONDAY!!

If the above seems a bit optimistic, well, maybe it is.  There are several things to celebrate this week, the most being my granddaughter's 10th birthday on Wednesday, September 12th, exactly one year and one day from 9-11.  I often think about the one time her mother actually listened to me, and it was on the birth of my granddaughter.  But, before that story, I just have to get this off my chest. 

The expectation of a grandchild is amazing, and this being my first grandchild, it was AMAZING!!  Choosing the colors of the unknown sex of the child's bedroom, the layette, all the baby clothes, decorating .......sigh, what a wonderful time, well, at least in my dreams.  My daughter lived in Ohio, an 8 hour drive at best, and she pretty much had all that figured out way before I got there to give her my expert, motherly advice.  I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed it was all done.  After all, I myself had given birth to 6 babies and had spent many hours pouring over "What to Name Your Baby", color swatches and reading books on how to make your baby happy, even before giving birth.  I mean, there I was, a WEALTH of knowledge, just waiting to be heard!  And, I was FREE!  I mean, how could someone pass up that kind of opportunity, just begging to be asked! 

Whew, that felt good.  Ok, back to the story.

Now, in all my posts, I've been very careful not to mention politics, even with it being an election year.  I was considering doing a Fun Facts Wednesday just on politics in general in the state of Maine, and I'm interested enough to check it out so within the next 6 to 7 weeks, I probably will do so.  I must admit, it's been tough not to mention politics, although probably not for the reasons you might think.  I have looked at Mitt Romney so many times and I can't help but wonder, what mother, when first holding her brand new baby, came up with the name, "Mitt"? (yup, that's the political stuff I've been holding back on!!!).  I just can't get passed it.  Ok, so maybe it is a nic name, but didn't his mother think of that before naming him???  I mean, where on earth was grandma when that name came up??  I'm pretty sure, she probably wasn't asked.....   I guess fair is fair, I mean, "Obama"?  Whoa.  I've been thinking about this, and I'm pretty sure both men were born during the time that women were dropped off at the hospital and the father went on his merrily way to buy cigars and have a beer or two to celebrate the birth.  Given that women were generally given drugs strong enough to make them pass out, I've decided that in both instances it was probably a man who named both of these men.... maybe even grandpa!  Really, it's the only thing I can come up with that makes any sense at all....... 

Now, back to the tale.  The one thing I really didn't want for my darling granddaughter was to have to share the anniversary of 9-11 with her birthday.  And my daughter listened.  It was not long past 9-11 that little Alex was born, but it was definitely on 9-12, not 9-11, that the world became a better place to live.  And it's been better ever since.

Happy birthday week, Alex.  I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment