Monday, September 17, 2012

Some of my fondest memories of my early childhood were the times my father and I would take walks after supper.  My father would hold my hand as we walked and he would point out the stars and talk about all kinds of things with me.  One of those evenings he tried to explain to me how small the world really was.  Being a whole 5 years old, I'm pretty sure I had a hard time grasping that concept, and while it took me some time to understand it and recognize it, I've never forgotten those times with my dad.  Although my father passed away almost 30 years ago, and far too young, I've always been so grateful for those walks.

Fast forwarding almost 50 years later, I am once again seeing how small our world really is.

If you were to ask me who was the one person who mentored me the most when starting out in sales/marketing/advertising, I would say without a moment's hesitation, Joan Toenniessen.  Joan was the publisher of both the Main Line Times and The News of Delaware County and I was blessed to work with her at the The News when I first started out in newspapers.

If I learned nothing else from Joan, I learned two very important lessons that I have never forgotten.  The first lesson was about being humble and children.  Although she was kind enough to never actually say my name when stating this lesson, it was hard to miss her pointed look at me when saying it.  The lesson was that God gave people children to keep them humble.  Now, having 6 children at the time, it didn't take much imagination to understand the implications of what she was saying!!  And if I didn't fully grasped the concept, she would then kind of mumble something about Him giving to some more than most for a good reason.  I know it's crazy, but I still laugh out loud when I think of her saying this!!  It was SO true and so necessary for me to remember that my talents were gifts, and while I needed and should use them, my talents were gifts and I needed to be thankful for them.  And she was right on all accounts - boy oh boy, did my kids keep me humble and they still do.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

The other lesson she taught me and the entire staff at the paper was this - Work is just work, real life is with your family.  When the day would get hectic and tempers would flare, she would gently remind everyone of this simple lesson.  Although she worked as hard or harder at her job than anyone else, she was a true leader who led with love and compassion and who valued the truth.  There was no doubt in any of our minds, we all were privileged to be her family.

I just learned yesterday that Joan has a summer home here in Maine, only 18 miles from where we live.  Wow!  I'm planning to email Joan today and I'm praying I will hear from her.  I feel my dad smiling at me.  He was right - the world is a small world indeed. 

Have a great Monday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment