Friday, August 10, 2012

PUFFINS



I realize it's not Wednesday for fun facts, but I just couldn't resist showing off this little fine fellow that resides in the North Atlantic and you guessed it, here in Maine!  I've never heard of these before but where ever we go we see signs saying we have puffins.  For all of you who know me well, I'm thinking, puffins?  puffins? like as in cream puffs??? Puffs are puffs to me and I'm thinking puff with an extra "in" must mean BIG cream puffs !!!  Of course, once I'm  on a roll, so to speak, I keep on going whether I'm right or not, sigh.  When I finally did see one, I said very indignantly, "that's not a cream puff, that's a penguin!" I mean, you do understand I'm thinking I'm going in for a pastry!! WRONG WRONG WRONG on all accounts!  Luckily, I'm use to these random jumping to the wrong conclusion moments where I find myself not only in the wrong ball park but also playing the wrong game.  I honestly think I handled it pretty well although Blair might have a different version :( .   I did my usual "Oh my!"  "Wow"!  "You must admit it does look like a penguin " to which I just received a blank stare.  Oh well.  He is a cute fellow so I thought I would share some fun facts about him with you today!

Puffins come ashore only to breed and raise one chick in an underground burrow.

There  are  3 to 4 million pairs in the world.

Puffins are usually 10 inches tall (18 cm), which is about the height of a quart jug of milk.  The puffin weighs about 500 grams, similar to a can of soda.

Puffins often live 20 years or more.

Puffins breed in colonies from April to August and over-winter from August to early spring on the open ocean far from land.  Puffins tend to disperse widely during this time and as a result it is difficult for scientists to learn about this aspect of their life.  Puffins are wonderfully adapted to spend months at sea.  They have waterproofed feathers, the ability to drink salt water and catch food.  

Maine is famous for their puffins!

Hope you all have a terrific weekend!   

 



No comments:

Post a Comment