Wednesday, August 8, 2012

WEDNESDAYS FUN FACTS ABOUT MAINE


 


Being new to Maine, I've been very interested in learning about my new home. 


As I have always loved bears, I of course wanted to know if I would ever see one in Maine.  Chances are, yup, I probably will!  

Did you know... 

Although they appear slow and lumbering, bears can run at speeds up to 35 miles per hours?
Bear cubs have blue eyes, which turn brown during their first summer?
Bears may remain in their dens for 5-6 months each year in Maine. During this time they do not eat, drink, urinate or defecate? (Me thinks this bodes for a looooooooong winter!).
And I guess the question on everyone's mind is that age old question about bears.  Do they really poop in the  woods?  ABSOLUTELY!!!


Shedding some light......

Most people think that the state of Maine has the most lighthouses.  It doesn't.  Maine is number 3 in the country.  The number 1 state in the country is a state that doesn't border the ocean.  Answer?  Michigan!  Anyone know who # 2 is?  Seriously, I don't know....

This is pretty cool .........

Some interesting folk from Maine:

Milton Bradley
Chester Greenwood inventor of the earmuff  ..... I can see that..... 
Stephen King......need I say more?????
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edna St. Vincent Millay

I want to save some other names for another day, but really, I am very impressed! 


1 comment:

  1. I love this blog.
    Did you know that New York's Suffolk County (on Long Island) has the most lighthouses for any one county?

    ReplyDelete